Friday, February 6, 2015

Lighten up!


I thought I would write about a little project that I tackled last week. It was one of those projects that I kept putting off for weeks only because I had to educate myself on re-wiring a lamp. I am happy to report that it was a whole lot easier than anticipated! I started out with an antique lamp base (below) that I picked up at a local auction and a lamp kit that I bought from Lowes. You can pick these kits up from any hardware store.

First, I removed all the wiring from the lamp. Then, once I had "gutted" my ceramic lamp base, I sprayed it with Rust-oleum Textured (Bronze) Paint to give it a stone/concrete texture.


 Then, I dry brushed it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (Old White and Paris Gray).
 
After I finished painting the base, I sprayed it with a coat of Poly. I then researched on Pinterest, where I found so many excellent tutorials on re-wiring lighting. I also read the instructions on the back of my light kit. I am very pleased with the finished piece and I feel so liberated now that I know how to "revamp a lamp". It really was NOT a difficult project to tackle after all.